Yogis, it’s September! How did this even happen?! As summer glides to an end and the kids all go back to school, we’re guessing everyone could use some valuable information on how to extend your practice to the workplace or school environment.
It’s easy to get intimidated when thinking about doing yoga at your desk, but it’s not hard; we’ve come up with a few suggestions on how to incorporate postures at your desk every couple of hours, without attracting unwanted attention.
Here are 5 poses that you can do at your desk, whether it be at work or for back-to-school:
- Sitting with your back straight, place one arm straight out in front of you.
- Place the other arm over top of the first, and wrap your arms together and up so that your elbows and palms are touching.
- Hold for 10 breaths, slowly unwrap, then repeat using opposite arms.
High Alter Pose
(Lats and back)
- Inhale and lift your arms up high.
- Clasp your hands together and invert your palms.
- Lean to your left and hold for 5 to 10 breaths.
- Switch sides.
(Arms and core)
- Sitting at the edge of your chair, place your hands the outside edges of your chair and steadily raise your legs and bum up off the seat.
- Engage your abdominal muscles and keep the tops of your shoulders down and back.
- Hold for 3 to 5 breaths.
- Lower and repeat twice.
- Sitting up straight on your chair, turn slowly to your left.
- Place your left hand on the back of the chair and your right hand on your left hip to deepen the twist.
- Hold for 5 to 10 breaths, then slowly return to center.
- Twist to the other side.
- Repeat each side once more.
Ankle to Knee
- Sitting up straight, place your left foot on your right knee, letting your left knee drop open.
- Keep your back straight, and lean slightly forward to deepen the stretch.
- Hold for 5 to 10 breaths, the return your left foot to the ground.
- Switch sides and repeat.
So there you have it! 5 fairly inconspicuous poses you can easily do at your desk. Make sure to breathe, and these poses will not only help your body, but also your mind.